Saturday, September 6, 2008

Well, things have finally calmed down a little bit, and I suppose I have some time to update this now...

School has been in session for two weeks now. In some ways it seems that it's just started, and in others, it feels like it's been so much longer. Classes have started off well. I can't say enough how happy I am with my schedule and all that I'll be doing this year. I have a decent-sized course load, but definitely something I can handle fairly easily, and definitely a lot less than last year.

Last year. Ugh. Let's not talk about that.

Gap in Cincy is working out well, too. We have a new store manager, so I was a little apprehensive about working with a new person. However, she's been really good to me as far as scheduling and such goes, so that's great. I've actually worked every single day I've been available since coming back into Cincinnati, which is great, beacuse I definitely could use the money. It's also been great, because the way things are working out, I'm getting a lot of shorter 4.5/5 hour shifts, which still allot me some time for a social life, which is great.

And speaking of Gap, I came in this evening to visit my friend Mikaiala, who's now back to school at Xavier after a summer in California. I didn't realize how much I missed her this summer. She's a really cool person and I look forward to seeing her again and hopefully hanging out with her more this semester. I know it was really great to get to see her for a few minutes this evening and catch up a little bit on life and such. She got into the prenatal/neonatal program for nursing at Xavier, which is awesome because I know she talked about that last year, so that's really awesome that she gets to do what she wants!

I also got an e-mail from a minister of a church near Dayton earlier this week asking if I'd be willing to consider interviewing for a worship minister position at his church. It's just so weird because taking a ministry position was totally off of my radar. Ever since my experience with South Side and then the ministry I oversee at Madison, I've never really considered getting back into some sort of church position until after graduation. Getting this e-mail was a total eye opener for me, at least.

South Side was such a miserable experience; from day one, it was an uphill battle dealing with people's schedules, a lack of support from the church, and just overall disrespect for me as a person and as a minister of the gospel. I cannot express how much that experience crushed me emotionally and spiritually. A lot of my disdain and hate for churches in general stems from that one church and how I was treated there.

I can't go through another experience like that again. I am so horrible with conflict. I hate dealing with disgruntled, disrespectful people. I think that if another South Side-esque experience were to happen to me, I would just have a nervous breakdown and probably never consider ministry again. I think for that reason, I have shyed away from so many opportunities.

Madison is a great place. I know and love the people. I get a lot of freedom to do what I want, without the responsibility of being the final point person. I think for me, the great thing about Madison is that it is safe. Yeah, I don't really get compensated or anything, but I don't have to worry about many of the tough parts of ministry. I don't have to deal with any real conflict.

So when I initially was contacted about this opportunity, I basically kind of said, "Oh, that's nice, but not for me." Yet, as I continued on with my life this week, I just wasn't able to let go of this opportunity, though I tried. Something about it just kept following me around. I guess that's the pull of the Holy Spirit. And because I believe that this pull is from the Holy Spirit, I've decided to apply for the position despite my fears and concerns. I'll see what happens.

But overall, life is great. I'm really excited for what is in store.

Until next time,
wb

No comments:

Post a Comment