Wednesday, May 27, 2009

1 Corinthians 10.21-22//Choice.

"You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot share in the Lord's table and the table of demons. Or are we provoking the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?"
1corinthians10.21-22

This verse is a real stirring reminder of the importance of living each and every day in a holy way. I can think of a few different verses from Paul's writings where he makes a huge point about this. In Romans, he talks about the grace of Christ, but comes right back to say that we shouldn't just keep sinning. God has redeemed us from that lifestyle and we shouldn't continue in it any longer. I think in James, the author talks about how out of the same mouth come both blessing and cursing, and James' response is, "Brothers, this should not be!" This verse even echoes some of the teachings of Jesus, where he says that those who are not with him are against him, etc.

It's kind of hard figuring out this paradox between God's grace and my sin. I understand I'm not supposed to sin any more, but I still do. God's grace certainly covers over those sins. Yet, it really makes me uncomfortable when I see people tossing around sin like it's nothing, because they know the grace of God covers it. I don't think that's the Christianity that Jesus, Paul, or Peter would want us to practice.

Here, it is really clear that for Christians, we can't share both in the community of God and the community of Satan. Which for me, is a little convicting. I struggle with some stuff. Seemingly everyday there are things that I think, things that I say, that immediately afterwards make me think, "That was so stupid. That was not God honoring." Again, I know that in the end, those sins are covered by the blood of Christ. They're as far away as the east is from the west. But, I know that in light of this verse, that's not the way I should be living.

I shouldn't think hatefully.

I shouldn't say the mean thing.

I shouldn't look at that picture.

I shouldn't spend irresponsibly.

Ultimately, through this passage, I think that God is trying to say that it's important for us to remember that as Christians, we no longer have any part in worldly ways of thinking, acting, and behaving. And a lot of the time, I don't think I match up to that standard. I don't do God justice. I have a tendency to throw holiness and sanctification on the back burner, when I should really make those qualities a bigger priority in my life.

So Lord, here's to you transforming me, renewing me, and sanctifying me from the inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment