Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Crazy Love, Chapter 8: Profile of the Obsessed.

I think that for me, this chapter mostly just solidified themes that I had already been thinking as a result of reading this book. In fact, in a lot of ways, it's simply the content of chapters 5 and 6 rephrased in a different way.

And I think that there are just a few overall things that really stuck out to me in reading.

First off is simply the idea that following Jesus is radical. I think that there are a lot of people (myself included) who would gladly agree with that statement, but do not recognize the incredible impact that it has on their individual lives at all. If Jesus is a radical revolutionary and I am a follower of Jesus, doesn't that necessarily mean that in some way I need to be radical too?

As I read this book (and this chapter in particular), I'm just overwhelmed with this feeling that none of it makes sense. It makes perfect sense in principle, but for a person to live this way is simply puzzling. It makes no sense to us. It certainly makes no sense to the world, and I don't really think it's supposed to. This is a type of lifestyle that is made possible only by the incredible indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

When I was growing up in middle school and high school, I probably heard countless sermons and/or lessons in youth group about living a life that makes people ask the question, "Why?" I've lived a pretty nice little Christian life. But a nice little Christian life isn't the one that makes people ask you why. A big, audacious, seemingly crazy and nonsensical life is the one that does that.

It's really tempting to look at the apostles, at missionaries like Barnabas and/or Silas and think that they simply practiced Christianity to the max. But I have no doubt that other, less esteemed or notable members of the early church did that too. What if the early church wasn't practicing this amazingly dedicated Christianity (though it would certainly be accurate to describe it that way)?

What if that's really the only kind of Christianity?

It sounded cool and trendy and countercultural when just Jesus was radical. When we make a correlation between Jesus and ourselves as followers of Jesus, the words we might use instead are ones like

weird.

challenging.

difficult.

dumb.

not for me.

It's funny how that outlook changes.

Which I think transitions me perfectly into my next observation: following Jesus is hard. I think I talked about this last night, but I want to hammer it home here, too. There's simply no "if's," "and's," or "but's." Following Christ is difficult. It requires surrender of all we have: our time, our talents and abilities, our money and possessions, and our love of comfort and self-interest.

Reading "Crazy Love" has made me realize that as a Christian, I kissed goodbye to an easy life a long time ago. If I want to live a life that truly encompasses all of what God teaches and all of what Christ stood for, I've got to do tough things. I've got to give sacrificially. I have to love people who don't like me and/or would rather have nothing to do with me. I have to purposefully and intentionally engage in relationships with people outside my little social sphere and bring the light of the gospel into their lives.

That is a difficult life, but it is the one that God calls each Christ follower to.

And that brings me to my final point, which is simply that all of this is overwhelming. As I prayed after reading this chapter, I kept coming back to God saying how crazy it feels to even think about living a life like this, and how impossible the task of being transformed into a person who lives like this seems. And that's when I kept coming back to the fact that that is the role of the Holy Spirit.

I've written on here before (and I still believe with all of my heart) that I play a big role in my transformation. God will do and has done everything necessary to allow me to follow Him fully and completely. Yet, I still have to make those choices.

I had to choose to believe.

I had to choose to follow.

I had to choose to trust.

And the moment I make those decisions, God will be there for me in a nanosecond. When I make big decisions, God immediately comes alongside and nurtures me, grows me, and transforms me in a way that I believe only He can.

So when I look at this life and feel overwhelmed, I sort of get the sense that God is saying, "Yeah, that's the point. It's not about what you can do; it's simply about you making the initial choice. When you decide to get started, I'll be there. I'll do all the work that you think is impossible. Heck, that word's not in my vocabulary."

This is a life so big that only God could make it happen, and that's the point.

And as I keep praying for God to help me to love Him truly and completely, the motivation to live a life like this will almost magically appear too. That's incredible.

So God, use all of me for Your glory. Make me obsessed... for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment