Thursday, February 11, 2010

ICNU.

I got the chance to be a part of Suncrest's community group leaders' training on Saturday, and walked away with some awesome insights (courtesy of our Hobart Campus Pastor, Doug Gamble) about encouragement and encouraging those I get a chance to lead.

Our talk revolved around the simple concept of encouraging people through ICNU (think about it... "I see in you"). When we make the intentional effort to pull people aside and tell them what we see in them (their giftings, passions, where they are growing), it can be one of the most encouraging things that people will ever experience. I got to experience it first-hand when, much to my surprise, Doug chose to speak some encouragement into my life in front of our leaders.

While some are more gifted in this area than others, I think that encouragement is a key function of anyone who is a part of the body of Christ (1 Thessalonians 4:18), so I thought it'd be good to share some of the insights that Doug shared on here today with you.

1. Be intentional. Great encouragement rarely happens unless you are intentional about it. This might mean scheduling some time alone with whoever it is you are seeking to encourage. Maybe it's setting a time to grab coffee or dinner together. Maybe it's a car ride alone together on the way to gather with friends. In Luke 9:10, the Bible tells us that Jesus withdrew with His disciples, no doubt in an effort to be intentional as He sought to encourage them. Great encouragement doesn't usually just happen. You have to be intentional about it.


2. Take time. This kind of links back to #1, but you need to take some time to really encourage people. Five seconds isn't enough. To really encourage and pour into someone's life takes time. If you really want to share what you see in someone, you need to make time to have that conversation.


3. Open your eyes. Be aware of the opportunities for encouragement around you, no matter how big or small. If you know someone who's done something great, or maybe get a sense that someone could use some love, that's a great time for encouragement. The key? You've gotta look for those opportunities.


4. Be courageous. Finally, you've got to be a little courageous. I can only speak for myself, but giving people real encouragement makes me feel really awkward. I know those conversations need to happen, but they feel kind of weird (maybe it's just because I'm a guy). But you need to be a little courageous. Don't hold back. Share what's on your heart! You'll be amazed at the response.

No comments:

Post a Comment