Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Journey to the Center of the Heart.

Some people go their entire lives without taking the chance to dive deep inside their own heart and soul.

It's understandable. It's easier. It's certainly safer. It helps us avoid the tough questions; it helps us avoid going back to the darker times and places in our lives and confronting some deeper issues in our hearts, minds, and lives.

I think I'd much rather be one of those people.

But after the past few days and weeks, I've just had a few things that have really forced me to look inside and to examine deep... and that's something that I haven't done in a while, actually. It's kind of scary to cut right to the heart of who you are, to go head-to-head with the issues that worry you the most... with the stuff that you'd rather just forget about.

Jesus was not a man who was afraid to ask the tough questions and ask people to confront the real issues within themselves. I think of the woman in John 4. She'd rather talk with Jesus about semantics of where Jews and Samaritans worship; Jesus wanted to talk about her five divorces and why she was searching for satisfaction from anyone and anything but the true and living water.

Jesus wants me to confront my stuff. He wants me to confront my doubts. He wants me to confront my fear of surrendering all of my life to Him. He wants me to look inside my heart, confront the depths of who I really am, and to allow His light, life, and power to transform me inside.

I'd much rather leave things well alone, but Jesus thinks otherwise. Here's to starting on that journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment