Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Reflections on a Sunday I Will Never Forget.

I still don't feel like my words can come close to describing the incredible thing that I saw happen at Suncrest Christian Church on Sunday, but I will try to explain...

73 baptisms at the Saint John campus. 7 at the Hobart campus.

80 baptisms total.

That amazes me. I wish I could say that leading up to this Sunday, when we would be asking people to respond on the spot (in their street clothes!) to the message of "repent, believe, and be baptized" (Acts 2:38) that I really believed a whole lot of people would do that. But the fact is, that I was expecting three baptisms; the three that had said "yes" before Sunday morning.

I believe Jesus would throw me into the category of "oh you of little faith."

I saw God do a lot on Sunday. Life change was happening, and it was amazing. I was standing literally five feet away from the baptistry, and I got to watch person after person go under the water and emerge changed, marked by the presence of the Holy Spirit. It was amazing, joyous, and heart warming. I didn't even know half the people, and yet still I was moved to tears at each of our three services.

Did I mention it was amazing?

And it also made me realize that I treat God like a two year old. Here I had set this incredibly low goal, with practically zero expectation. God is like the Picasso of spiritual transformation, and here I am setting the same expectations before him as I would a four year old finger painter.

Instead of treating God like a two year old, I should have realized that God is the God of impossible. He is the God of more than we can ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20-21). Instead of babying God along, maybe I need to learn to ask and pray for the impossible, and then actually believe it can happen.

Did I mention that Sunday was amazing? Because if I didn't, please know it was. In fact, it's a Sunday that I will never, ever forget.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Wes. While I prayed for God to blow us away, I never really thought He would. It was incredible! Praying that what I experienced on Sunday will help me to place a greater level of trust in Him. God gets all the glory and praise for what happened on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete