Monday, January 25, 2010

Defining the Relationship.

Have you ever had a "define the relationship" conversation with someone?

Aren't they tough? I had one recently with someone, and I'm sure she had to be laughing as I fumbled over my words and used the phrase "this is probably really awkward to hear" about 900 times. I think these conversations, though necessary, are tough because they often involve one party really putting themselves out there emotionally. That's not easy to do. Rejection is an ugly thing.

I love my church because we regularly engage in the tough stuff of life, and we just started this series called "Not a Fan." Yesterday, we started off by receiving the challenge to have a DTR conversation with God. Am I really a follower? Do I just think I'm a follower? Am I sitting on the sidelines? Do I have any intention of even starting a relationship with God whatsoever?

As I look at my life, I see a lot of areas where I think I'm being a follower of God. But I also see a lot where I have some real room for growth. I think that my schedule and my time often show I'm probably just a fan of Jesus and not a follower. I think the same could be said of my ability to step out in faith and take chances where I feel like God is leading me, though I think I'm getting better there.

Overall, I think regardless of where you are in your spiritual journey, it's never a bad idea to ask, "What sort of relationship am I in with God?" Just remember that it's never enough to be a fan... God wants followers.

And that distinction makes a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment