Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Rock.

Yesterday I was reading from Psalm 18, and a verse that especially stuck out to me was verse 2:

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

I was just really hit by the "solid" imagery that's used by David to describe God. He calls God a "rock." A "fortress." He is a "refuge" and a "stronghold," not to mention a "shield." David keeps portraying God as this sturdy, solid presence in his life. He is unshakeable.

I don't know that when asked to describe God if the first adjectives that come to mind would be ones with this "sturdy" imagery that David uses. I think a big reason for that is that I often don't really give God a chance to have that sort of presence in my life. I do one of two things: (1) I wander away, off of God, my rock or (2) I decide I'm going to go the storms of life alone, totally forgetting that I have an incredible God available to me.

I prayed yesterday that when things seem unclear, I would discover what it means to have the Rock; God Almighty, underneath my feet. I know he will be... I just need to give him the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment