Saturday, January 9, 2010

Splanchna.

Recently, I've been reading the book Second Guessing God by Brian Jones. In one of the chapters, he talks about a Greek word, splanchna, which literally refers to the inner parts of the chest cavity; the heart, lungs, all that stuff. Figuratively, the word is used to talk about an overwhelming love and compassion for someone else. I think of it kind of like the way my chest tightens up, my breath gets shaky and I get something in my throat when I start to cry.

In referencing Jesus, Jones points out that the Bible uses this word practically all the time:
  • "When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion (splanchna) on them, because htey were like sheep without a shepherd" (Mark 6:34).
  • When Jesus saw a woman who had lost both her husband and only son, "his heart went out to her (splanchna) and he said, 'Don't cry,'" (Luke 7:13).
  • In the story of the Good Samaritan, Jesus said, "But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity (splanchna) on him" (Luke 10:33).
  • In the story of the Prodigal Son, Jesus said, "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion (splanchna) for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him" (Luke 15:20).
I just find something incredibly comforting in knowing that I serve a God who loves people deeply, from the bottom of his heart and soul, where it hurts. I find it even more comforting that that's the same way he loves me.

3 comments:

  1. jesus is the splanchna of God incarnate

    ReplyDelete
  2. splachna is not mere tender love.I think there is no exact English translation for this Greek term

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen brother. May his love be perfected in us.

    ReplyDelete