Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Fine Line.

There is a very fine line that I have always struggled to walk as a Christian, and that's the line of grace vs. legalism.

Chances are that you have in some way faced that conflict in your life before as well. I believe that as a Christ follower, that God has immeasurable grace for me. I can screw it up all I want; it doesn't matter. God's grace is bigger than that, and he's not going to be getting rid of me anytime soon because of my sin. But on the other hand, I also know that I'm supposed to live a Christ-honoring lifestyle. God doesn't expect our perfection, but I believe that he expects us to work toward it.

The trap I always fall into is this: at what point (if any) am I leaning a little too much into God's grace? On the other hand, at what point (if any) have I crossed over the line and started to see myself as being part of God's kingdom because of what I do, not because of who God is and what he offers to me? I think Romans 5-8 probably lays this debate out better than any other portion of the Bible I'm aware of, but even here, Paul never really arrives at any solid ending point. At best, he comes to a "both/and" type of conclusion.

I think it ultimately comes back to the heart. I need to examine my motives behind the way I live my life. That can reveal volumes about where I stand in the whole grace/righteousness dichotomy.

Just like everything, it comes back to the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment